New Task Force Will Develop Strategies to Help Residency Programs Meet ACGME Requirements for CBME
February 20, 2023—STFM has formed a new task force to develop resources and training to equip residency programs to deliver competency-based education (CBME) and assessment. The new ACGME Family Medicine Program Requirements, which go into effect in July 2023, include a shift from numbers-based reporting to requiring programs to assure residents demonstrate competence. "These changes will require programs to think carefully about—and likely make changes to—curriculum, individualized learning plans, and assessment of resident performance," explained Linda Montgomery, MD, chair of STFM's new Competency-Based Medical Education Task Force.
The task force, which will begin meeting in March 2023, will
- Identify and aggregate available training and resources
- Develop new assessments and assessment approaches
- Identify and/or develop a template for individualized learning plans
- Identify strategies for including residents in the assessment process
- Create a plan for faculty development
- Create a plan for piloting new assessments and assessment approaches
The task force work will be informed by the outcomes of a CBME Summit, which took place in January 2023. The Summit and the task force were/are funded by the ABFM Foundation.
Future phases of the CBME project will focus on faculty development, plus implementation, piloting, and dissemination of CBME resources and assessment tools.
Task force members:
- Aaron Lambert, MD, Program Director, Cabarrus Family Medicine Residency Program
- Pamela MacMillan, AFMA President and GME Coordinator, University of Wyoming
- Stephenie Matosich, DO, Associate Program Director, Family Medicine Residency Spokane
- Linda Montgomery, MD, Vice Chair of Education, University of Colorado Department of Family Medicine
- Fred Miser, MD, MA, Professor Emeritus, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Randolph Pearson, MD, Assistant Dean for GME, MSU Family Medicine Residency
- Michelle Roett, MD, MPH, Professor and Chair, Department of Family Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center
- Mary Theobald, MBA, Chief of Strategy and Innovation, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Priyanka Tulshian, MD, MPH, Residency Faculty, Contra Costa Family Medicine Residency
- Olivia Rae Wright, MD, Program Director - PeaceHealth Southwest Family Medicine/Addiction Medicine Fellowship
- Velyn Wu, MD MACM, Core Faculty, University of Florida Family Medicine Residency Program
- Bright Zhou, MD, MS, Resident, Stanford O'Connor Family Medicine Residency