STFM Sub-Internship Curriculum
The Family Medicine Sub-Internship (Acting Internship) is an advanced clinical rotation offered in the final phase of medical school. It aims to provide students with advanced training in the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that are foundational to family medicine. By the end of the sub-Internship, students should be ready to assume the role of a family medicine intern.
The STFM Sub-Internship Curriculum was designed by an STFM task force consisting of UME and GME educators and learners to create a standardized national sub-internship curriculum. Sub-Internships are a critical educational experience in family medicine and are a way to further expose students to positive family medicine experiences.
Key features of this curriculum:
- Builds off the foundations of the STFM National Clerkship Curriculum with the input of multiple stakeholders
- Uses Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs) as a cornerstone of curricular elements and student assessment
- Provides a framework while allowing for flexibility and individualization
- Incorporates self-assessment by learners
- Recommends institutions provide appropriate support for this rotation through dedicated faculty and administrative support staff time
This curriculum has been endorsed by STFM and the Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors (AFMRD) and is supported by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
STFM Sub-Internship Curriculum Project Task Force Members
Tomoko Sairenji, MD, MS - University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Past Chair of the STFM MSE Collaborative Steering Committee
- Sarah Stumbar, MD, MPH - Florida International University, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Miami, FL
- Marisyl de la Cruz, MD - Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- John Emerson, MD - Greenville FMR, University of South Carolina, Greenville, SC
- David Kelley, MD - University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK
- Dolapo Babalola, MD - Morehouse University, Atlanta, GA
- Jeff Cashman, DO - Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine, Blacksburg, VA
- Karly Pippitt, MD - University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- Alec Chessman, MD - Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC
Residents & Students
- Chivon Stubbs, MD - Morehouse FMR, Atlanta, GA
- Chinomnso Ekeke MD – Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System FMR, Spartanburg, SC
- Kelsey Harding, MD – University of Washington; FMR of Idaho, Boise, ID
- Megan Olson, MD – University of Washington; University of Wyoming, Thermopolis Rural Training Track, Thermopolis, WY
- Elizabeth Buck, MD – University of Washington; University of Washington FMR Chelan Rural Training Track, Chelan, WA
- Christine Adams, MD, MS - Florida Atlantic University; University of North Carolina FMR, Chapel Hill, NC
- Neil Liotta, MD - University of Washington; FMR of Idaho, Boise, Idaho
- MSE Committee Chair and Project Liaison
- Annie Rutter, MD, MS, FAAFP - Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
Questions about the curriculum? Contact Emily Walters at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.