- Should be given to a third-year or fourth-year resident, not necessarily the chief resident or someone who is planning to do a fellowship or begin an academic career.
- Should recognize a resident who has demonstrated skills and interests in teaching, as defined in the below evaluation criteria:
- Demonstrated interest in teaching/precepting medical students.
- Demonstrated interest and excellence in teaching physician assistants, nursing students, pharmacy students, etc.
- Participation in a patient education or residency education committee.
- Peer teaching.
- Consistent quality grand rounds and/or conferences presented.
- Valued as teacher by patients and peers.
- Evidence of community teaching.
- Presentations given at regional or national family medicine meetings.
- Preference should be given to an STFM member when possible.
While we realize that not all residency programs provide the full range of teaching opportunities that we have enumerated, we believe the resident recipient should fulfill as many of the criteria as possible to be considered an exemplary future teacher.
No more than one award may be given per residency program, but it need not be given each year.
Faculty shall select their program's recipient and then complete an online form to request a certificate for the resident you have chosen to receive this honor.
Once submitting the form a download of the certificate will be available that you can print out and frame. You will be responsible for presenting the certificate to your award winner.
Nominate a Resident