The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) § 36.203(a) states that “A public accommodation shall afford goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations to an individual with a disability in the most integrated setting appropriate to the needs of the individual.”
STFM values the life experiences and needs of community members and strives to provide an inclusive and accessible space to foster collaboration and learning. Our conference planning committee and STFM staff have worked to increase dialogue and response to the needs of members seeking accommodations. This includes evaluating physical space, working with ADA compliant vendors, and providing supportive tools and equipment upon request.
When you register for our STFM conferences, our registration form includes a question about accessibility and other accommodations, such as allergies, physical accommodations, etc
STFM staff will follow-up with any attendee who answers “yes” to this question.
Our Focus and Commitment at In-Person Events:
- Pre-planning: The conference locations that STFM selects are ADA compliant. STFM staff meet with hotel and conference management representatives and evaluate space in advance of our events.
- Egress & mobility: Staff work with event staff to ensure adequate access and egress to meeting rooms and associated conference space. STFM also factors in adequate time for travel between sessions as part of conference planning. For mobility related needs, STFM is prepared to rent equipment like motorized scooters to ensure members can move freely throughout the conference center.
- Quiet space and breaks: Attendees will have access to identified quiet space as needed. STFM is also sensitive to the pace of the conferences and schedules regular breaks for attendees. Identification of lactation rooms or other private space needs can be provided.
- Audio/Visual: STFM can provide equipment and services that enhance audio and visual experience of participants.
- Dietary needs: STFM can coordinate special dietary needs with hotel and conference staff.
- Staff Commitment: Staff, volunteers, and temporary workers are available to attendees who may need assistance, escorts, or other needs. We seek to go above and beyond t support our members.
If you have questions or need to request a particular accommodation to ensure your complete
conference participation, please contact the STFM office at email@example.com.