Approved February 5, 2015
1. Strategic Goal: Professional and Leadership Development
STFM will be the leader in training, leadership development, and creation of information that improves family medicine education and teaching.
1.1. Provide family medicine faculty with the skills needed to train students, residents, and health care teams to achieve the Triple Aim of better care, better health, and lower cost
1.2. Continually improve STFM’s conferences, online learning activities, and other in-person training offerings to provide exceptional educational experiences focusing on innovation, skills development, and networking
1.3. Provide leadership development and emerging leaders’ opportunities to proactively respond to the changing health care landscape within family medicine and beyond
2. Strategic Goal: Workforce Recruitment and Retention
STFM will improve the quality and quantity of the family medicine workforce.
2.1 Implement strategies to transform student and family medicine residency training sites into clinical and teaching models of excellence, such as the patient-centered medical home
2.2 Provide training for physician faculty, preceptors, and other health professionals who are new to their family medicine faculty roles
2.3 Implement strategies to develop and retain exemplary family medicine faculty
2.4 Expand and reinforce the pipeline to create new family physicians
3. Strategic Goal: Scholarship
STFM will be the leader in family medicine educational scholarship.
3.1. Train faculty to collect, analyze, and share relevant information related to educational innovations
3.2. Disseminate new knowledge about family medicine education.
3.3. Increase the value of the CAFM Educational Research Alliance to members
4. Strategic Goal: Professional Relationships
Relationships developed through STFM will enhance the professional well-being, vitality, and growth of members and the discipline.
4.1 Engage members, residents, and students in activities related to Family Medicine for America’s Health
4.2 Enhance networking and engagement opportunities offered through STFM
4.3 Collaborate with key organizations to meet STFM strategic goals
5. Strategic Goal: Policy Advocacy
STFM will advocate for family medicine education and workforce recruitment and retention.
5.1 Advocate on behalf of family medicine educators
5.2 Lead and support the Academic Family Medicine Advocacy Committee and its legislative priorities
5.3 Promote alliances that further advocacy positions related to family medicine education
Strategic Plan Definitions
- Strategic Goals: A goal is a broad aim to which our efforts are directed to achieve our mission and vision. The goals tell you what we hope to accomplish rather than how we would get there. There are the five strategic goals for STFM to address, and they are not listed in priority order. Each goal has a broad label, ie, professional and leadership development, scholarship, workforce recruitment and retention, professional relationships, and policy advocacy, to provide a framework for the goals and enhance understanding.
- Objectives: Objectives are milestones that must be achieved to reach the strategic goal. There are several objectives identified for each strategic goal.
- Tactics: These are specific measurable activities to implement the objectives. These tactics are listed in this draft strategic plan but will not be included in the summary plan shared on the website. These tactics will be used by staff, task forces, committees, and groups to implement the plan.