- Must be a senior leader who has significantly enhanced the credibility of family medicine by a sustained, long-term commitment to family medicine in academic settings
- Must have a history of active involvement with STFM
- Must have made substantial professional contributions to the STFM, as well as to another organization(s) involved with family medicine such as but not limited to the Association of American Medical Colleges, American Medical Association, National Academy of Medicine, Association of Departments of Family Medicine, American Board of Family Medicine, American Academy of Family Physicians, NAPCRG, Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors, American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, American Medical Association, National Medical Association, or a department of family medicine in an academic setting
- Current Trustees are not eligible for nomination for the F. Marian Bishop Leadership Award
- Trustees will not consider applications for the F. Marian Bishop Leadership Award from individuals who have received the Lynn and Joan Carmichael STFM Recognition Award or the STFM Excellence in Education Award in the past 2 years.
- Previous winners of other STFM awards are eligible to be nominated for the F. Marian Bishop Leadership Award
Nominators are asked to organize their supporting materials to underscore the candidate’s leadership and scholarly achievements in family medicine and contributions to STFM. Diversity, being a core value of STFM, should also be highlighted in the broadest sense, for example, but not be limited to, race, gender, ethnicity, work site, work role, geographic location, and professional discipline.
To nominate a candidate, submit a letter of nomination and the nominee's curriculum vitae (CV) to Sandy VanTuyl. Please limit the CV to a total of five pages and letters of recommendation to three individuals
The STFM Foundation Trustees will screen the nominations and make the final selection.
The award recipient will be honored during STFM's Annual Spring Conference. The award winner will receive a commemorative award and a complimentary registration to the STFM Annual Spring Conference.