January 21, 2022—STFM is seeking an individual to serve as our representative to Wonca. The term as our rep will begin June 1, 2022, and end shortly following the 2025 Wonca World Conference (dates TBD). We strive to have the Wonca representative attend two Wonca World Conferences to enhance continuity and relationship building.
The responsibilities are listed below. We’ll be looking for a representative with global health interest and experience and someone who has been engaged with Wonca. It’s helpful for our representative to understand the structure of Wonca and its activities to help STFM build and maintain connections.
Lucy Candib, MD, is our current representative and can respond to questions about the role (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are interested, please submit a letter of interest and CV to Sandy Van Tuyl (email@example.com) by March 1, 2022. Members of the Collaborative on Global Health and Dr. Candib will screen applicants and bring their recommendations to the STFM Executive Committee for approval.
Responsibilities: The Wonca representative will be responsible for representing STFM at the Wonca World Conference and Wonca Council meeting held every 2 years in person. Virtual Council meetings are held annually between in-person meetings. It is expected that the representative will do the following:
- Attend the World Council meeting and Wonca World Conference scientific meetings (2023 in Sydney, Australia and 2025 in Lisbon, Portugal) and the virtual World Council meetings in 2022 and 2024
- Look for opportunities to present at the Wonca scientific conference
- Engage with Wonca members/committees, particularly the Wonca Working Party on Education
- Maintain contact with other Wonca members and committees in the intervening years to stay current with issues and official positions/actions of Wonca
- Report annually to the STFM Board of Directors
- Serve as the STFM lead for sharing STFM information through Wonca media outlets
Selection criteria: The representative shall be a member of STFM and have demonstrated an interest in and understanding of the Society and Wonca. STFM activities at the regional or national level; leadership in committees, subcommittees, or groups; and activities in international medical groups will be considered in the selection. STFM will also consider diversity and opportunities to connect to other STFM initiatives as appropriate.
Fiscal note: STFM will support travel and registration expenses for its representative to attend each Wonca World Conference and its respective Wonca Council meeting up to an amount established for each trip. The interim meetings will not be supported as a rule.