Skip main content and go to sidebar feature
Please Note: The following awards have approaching nomination deadlines
Deadline Extended: Nominations now due December 16
STFM Best Research Paper Award
The following awards are given by or through STFM.
- The Family Practice Management Award for Practice Improvement, cosponsored by Family Practice Management, is offered annually to a primary care practice or practice organization that has made significant improvement in one or more of the following in the past 3 calendar years: clinical outcomes, clinical process improvement, patient satisfaction, staff satisfaction, physician satisfaction, practice efficiency and productivity.
- The H. Winter Griffith Resident Scholarship for Excellence in Practice Improvement and Patient-centered Care recognizes excellence in practice improvement involving patient-centered care by an outstanding family medicine resident. The award honors H. Winter Griffith, MD, was the author of more than twenty-seven books, including his first book, Instructions for Patients. Dr Griffith was a strong advocate for patient engagement through patient education. Thus, this award will recognize outstanding patient interaction, education, care, and outcome by a resident in the family medicine medical home setting.
- The Curtis G. Hames Award honors those individuals whose careers over the years exemplify dedication to research in family medicine.
- The STFM Research Paper Award recognizes the best research paper published by an STFM member in a peer-reviewed journal during the selected year.
Scholarships and Grants
- The International Scholarship Program provides a scholarship to family physicians/general practitioners from around the world to attend STFM's Annual Spring Conference.
- The Program Enhancement Award enables family medicine programs to implement an enhancement at their institution while developing the leadership skills of family medicine faculty.
- The New Faculty Scholars Award is part of the Foundation's initiative to develop leaders in our discipline. This award of up to $2,000 is intended to cover travel and hotel expenses for attendance at the STFM annual meeting.
Teaching and Leadership
- The Lynn and Joan Carmicheal STFM Recognition Award honors STFM members or nonmembers for outstanding service to family medicine education, including enhancing resources available for its support, defending or supporting its objectives, serving as an outstanding role model, or providing other notable service to the discipline.
- The STFM Excellence in Education Award recognizes leadership within STFM in support of teaching, curriculum development, research, or other aspects of medical student or resident education.
- The F. Marian Bishop Award honors individuals who have significantly enhanced the academic credibility of family medicine by a sustained, long-term commitment to family medicine in the academic setting.
- The STFM Innovative Program Award honors excellence in the development of an original educational program or activity for family practice residents, students, or faculty.
- The STFM Resident Teacher Award is available to family medicine residencies to give to a third-year resident who has (where applicable): demonstrated skills in teaching/precepting medical students, demonstrated excellence in teaching physical assistants, nursing students, pharmacy students, etc., participated in patient education or residency education committee, contributed to peer teaching, shown quality grand rounds and/or conferences presented, and/or taught in a community setting.
- The STFM Advocate Award is designed to recognize excellence in the field of political advocacy. The STFM Advocate Award honors a member for outstanding work in political advocacy at the local, state, or national level. The recipient's efforts are not restricted to legislative work but cannot be solely individual patient advocacy.