This scholarship is for students to attend the Conference on Medical Student Education. Scholarships cover the cost of registration, travel, hotel accommodations, and meals not provided by the conference up to $1,000 ($500 provided by STFM and $500 provided by the student's nominating department.) One target school student will receive up to $1,000 ($500 provided by STFM and $500 provided by AAFP). Target schools are defined as those that don't have a department of family medicine.
Winning students will present their poster at the 2017 Conference on Medical Student Education. Students whose work is accepted for presentation will be named STFM Student Scholars. Scholars receive a $500 award from STFM and free registration to the 2017 Conference on Medical Student Education. All students who complete the nomination process will receive a free 1-year STFM membership.
- Students must be nominated by faculty.
- Nominated students must have an interest in family medicine and potential for an academic career.
- By nominating a student, the family medicine department commits to matching the $500 STFM award. (Exception: Target school)
- Only one student can be nominated from a department.
Student nominations are made by family medicine department faculty. Nominations are due June 20.
- Letter of support stating why the student is being nominated. The selection criteria for student scholarship recipients include the student’s commitment to FMIG/Family Medicine/STFM, Leadership roles, volunteering, as well as scholarship and research.
Once nominations are received the student will be notified and asked to fulfill the following requirements:
- Personal statement addressing how he/she has demonstrated at least one of STFM's core values and how at least one of these values will guide his/her career (Personal statement form will be sent via email with notification email of nomination)
- Poster abstract (Will be submitted at stfm.org; instructions will be sent via email.)
Student Scholarship winners will be notified Fall 2016.
Your contributions support additional deserving students to the Conference on Medical Student Education. STFM supports 4 students and the AAFP supports 1 target student each year. Any additional students are supported by your generosity. The 2016 conference raised enough to send 8 additional student scholars to the 2017 conference.
If you would like to support this program, you can contribute to the MSE Student Scholars through the STFM Foundation. For every additional $500 raised this year, we will send another nominated student to the 2017 Conference on Medical Student Education.