This award recognizes excellence in practice improvement involving patient-centered care by an outstanding family medicine resident or resident team. The award honors H. Winter Griffith, MD, an author of more than 27 books, including his first book, Instructions for Patients. Dr Griffith was a strong advocate for patient engagement through patient education. Thus, this award will recognize outstanding patient interaction, education, care, and outcomes by a resident or resident team in the family medicine medical home setting.
Entries are limited to family medicine residents involved in quality improvement work focused on improving patient-centered care
- The practice improvement activity should document a change in patient knowledge, attitude skill, motivation, environment, or health care.
- Ability to provide examples of patient-centered practice improvement activities include patient surveys, focus groups, motivational interviewing, self-management support, shared goal setting, health coaching, innovative use of media or communication technology, patient portals, e-visits, or behavior change activities.
- Individuals who have received an award at the Conference on Practice Improvement within the past 3 years are not eligible to submit for the award
- Abstract of the work
- Letter from the resident or resident team indicating a willingness to present their work at the conference
- Letter of recommendation and support from the resident's or resident team's program director
- Each entry must include both a description of the quality improvement work that has been completed as well as outcomes of the quality improvement project.
Entries will be judged on the following:
- The extent to which the practice improvement project emphasized improvements in patient centered care
- Effectiveness, or outcomes, as documented in an evaluation report
- Feasibility of the improvement project for dissemination to other health centers or systems
A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to the winning resident or resident team, along with an award certificate, and a complimentary registration (or up to two complimentary registrations will be provided for a resident team) to the Conference on Practice Improvement. The resident(s) will also be recognized at the conference, and invited to present their work as a distinguished poster.
The award winner(s) will be notified in late September.
How To Apply
Download and review the instructions.
Go to the online award and fellowship submission web page to complete the application online.
Application Deadline is August 1, 2017.