November 13: Curtis G. Hames Research Award and STFM Best Research Paper Award
November 20: New Faculty Scholars Award
January 16: Faculty for Tomorrow Resident Scholarship
- The Family Practice Management Award for Practice Improvement, cosponsored by Family Practice Management, is offered annually to a primary care practice or practice organization that has made significant improvement in one or more of the following in the past 3 years: clinical outcomes, clinical process improvement, patient satisfaction, staff satisfaction, physician satisfaction, practice efficiency and productivity.
- The H. Winter Griffith Resident Scholarship for Excellence in Practice Improvement and Patient-Centered Care recognizes excellence in practice improvement involving patient-centered care by an outstanding family medicine resident. The award honors H. Winter Griffith, MD, the author of more than twenty-seven books, including Instructions for Patients. Dr Griffith was a strong advocate for patient engagement through patient education. Thus, this award recognizes outstanding patient interaction, education, care, and outcomes by a resident in the family medicine medical home setting.
- The Curtis G. Hames Award honors individuals whose careers over the years exemplify dedication to research in family medicine.
- The STFM Best Research Paper Award recognizes the best research paper published by an STFM member in a peer-reviewed journal during the selected year.
Scholarships and Grants
- The Scholarship for New Faculty to Attend the Family Medicine Congressional Conference provides those within their first 5 years as faculty with hands-on advocacy experience at the Family Medicine Congressional Conference in Washington, DC.
- The International Scholarship Program provides a scholarship to family physicians/general practitioners from around the world to attend STFM's Annual Spring Conference.
- The STFM Foundation's Program Enhancement Award provides funding for family medicine programs to implement enhancements at their institutions while developing the leadership skills of family medicine faculty.
- The New Faculty Scholars Award is part of the Foundation's initiative to develop leaders in our discipline. This award of up to $2,000 covers travel and hotel expenses for attendance at the STFM Annual Spring Conference.
- The Faculty for Tomorrow Resident Scholarship provides 10 residents up to $600 each to cover travel, accommodations, and registration costs to attend the STFM Annual Spring Conference.
- The Student Scholarship for the Conference on Medical Student Education recognizes the passion for family medicine and teaching in students. Recipients of the award are named STFM Student Scholars and present their poster at the STFM Conference on Medical Student Education. Each scholar receives free registration to the conference, a complimentary STFM Student membership, and a $500 award to cover travel costs.
Teaching and Leadership
- The Lynn and Joan Carmichael STFM Recognition Award honors STFM members or nonmembers for outstanding service to family medicine education, including enhancing resources available for its support, defending or supporting its objectives, serving as an outstanding role model, or providing other notable service to the discipline.
- The STFM Gold Humanism Award, funded by The Arnold P. Gold Foundation, honors an STFM member who best embodies the attributes of humanism in medicine through his or her work as a family medicine faculty member.
- The STFM Excellence in Education Award recognizes STFM members who have demonstrated excellence in teaching, curriculum development, mentoring, research, or leadership in education at regional or national levels.
- The F. Marian Bishop Award honors individuals who have significantly enhanced the academic credibility of family medicine through a sustained, long-term commitment to family medicine in the academic setting.
- The STFM Innovative Program Award honors excellence in the development of an original educational program or activity for family medicine residents, students, or faculty.
- The STFM Resident Teacher Award is available to family medicine residencies to give to third-year residents who have: demonstrated skills in teaching/precepting medical students, demonstrated excellence in teaching physician assistants, nursing students, pharmacy students, etc., participated in patient education or residency education committee, contributed to peer teaching, presented high-quality grand rounds and/or conferences, and/or taught in a community setting.
- The STFM Advocate Award honors STFM members for outstanding work in political advocacy at the local, state, or national level. The recipients efforts are not restricted to legislative work but cannot be solely individual patient advocacy.