Eight family medicine organizations, including the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, are in the midst of a multi-year initiative to demonstrate the value of primary care in delivering on the Triple Aim of better health, better care, and lower costs.
The Family Medicine for America's Health strategic plan centers on seven core strategies:
- Ensure every person will have a personal relationship with a trusted family physician or other primary care professional, in the context of a medical home
- Increase the value of primary care
- Reduce health care disparities
- Lead the continued evolution of the patient-centered medical home
- Ensure a well-trained primary care workforce
- Improve payment for primary care by moving away from fee for service and towards comprehensive primary care payment
Health is Primary
Health is Primary is a 3-year communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in the health care system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans.
City Tour Dates
Health is Primary is collecting stories from around the country to showcase examples of innovative community-level initiatives that are improving primary care and delivering on the Triple Aim of better care and better quality at a lower cost. Cities targeted for 2016/2017 are:
- Atlanta, GA
- Louisville, KY
- Newark, NJ
- Phoenix, AZ
- Providence, RI
- Minneapolis, MN
- Jackson, MS
Health is Primary is running paid advertising in major national magazines including Prevention, Real Simple, and Latina. Outdoor advertising is running in shopping malls, pharmacies, and grocery stores around the country. The goal is to raise awareness about the campaign and the value of primary care.
The campaign is also providing print and radio public service announcements to outlets around the country to supplement the campaign.
What You Can Do Now
- Increase interest in family medicine by being a positive role model.
- Make sure family medicine has a seat at the table when important decisions are being made at your organization and in your community.
- Work with payors to change payment models.
- On the Family Medicine for America's Health home page and the Health is Primary home page, sign up for email updates. Encourage other faculty, residents, and students to do so, as well.
- Direct your patients to the Health is Primary website. Teach patients to advocate for themselves and their communities.
- Share your story! Health is Primary is looking for compelling primary care and family medicine case studies. The ideal stories are ones that are innovative and have led to significant transformation in primary care delivery and outcomes. Email info@FMAHealth.org.